25 November 2007

Cosy Sunday & Sewing










I checked my emails today and was so pleased to have received another 'You Make Me Smile' Award from Jen & Jacqui The Bowerbirds's.
Thank you girls I am flattered and want to say that "you make me smile too"!
Today it is cold and I am really pleased that I do not have to go out at all. I have all my supplies ready for the big Sunday roast. I only have 7 for dinner today so a leg of pork will be put into the Aga at 3pm and dinner will be served at 6pm!
I lit the fire and set up the sewing machine.
I had another delivery from Ebay to use, it was some my of favourite material from Kate Forman Designs and as I already had quite a few cushions in this material decided that I would make 3 lamp shade covers.
This is the gorgeous piece of material that I received in the post.
I love this material - Roses.





Measured and cut to fit over one of my old lamp shades. I then hemmed top and bottom, sewed the edges together and made into a tube. This fitted the old shade and would just slip over it like a little dress!



This is the end result. A Shabby Chic loose lamp cover!
It does not have to be perfect, that is the charm of shabby chic.





From a distance it looks quite good!!!






I thought that I would quickly make a needle wallet with a piece of the off cut of Kate Forman material. First I made a little book with a piece of my red gingham material - left over from Christmas decorations !





I made a little book from a piece of card and covered it with the red gingham material. This forms the shape of the needle wallet. This is then sew carfully, trying to hide the stitches all around the edges.
I edged the material to be the inside page very roughly on the sewing machine, I could have taken more time really to get a neater finish but I just didn't! This piece of material will hold the needles and pins. Place on the fold of the wallet and neatly stitch into position.



This is the finished article, with new pins and needles already in place.







It only took half and hour to make and is a great little project for a beginner.



I had to embroider a Heart on the front didn't I! and my initial 'C' inside the heart.








This lamp shade cover is one that I made to fit snugly over the old shade, but it still has the lovely soft gatherings at the top. The great thing with these is that they can easily be taken off and washed.
I hope that you all have a lovley week and all your dreams come true........xx

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now you don't mind if I show up for dinner do you? Sounds so good. Your lampshade turned out so pretty. :)

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

I think that C initial stands for Clever!
I would love to be able to sew like you and many of the other talented bloggers..
Have you ever thought of holding a workshop!!!!!!
Have needle... willing to travel.
Michelexx

Your home look so cosy and roast din dins .. oh yummy!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely way to spend a cold Sunday, we would not want to go out either! Such pretty fabric you have used, and love the shades, they are really pretty and feminine made loose like that. Have a great week! Jenn and Jacqui

Ragged Roses said...

Love the lampshades - you've inspired me (only need to find more hours in the day to get round to doing it though). Sounds like a lovely cosy, crafty Sunday. Take care
Kim x

Louise said...

I was going to say what C&C says, you are clever, and I wish I could sew, I have just never learned those skills, but wish I had, maybe one day. The lampshade is lovely and as for red gingham & hearts I need not say more. Seven round for a roast, you sound very laid back, I panic with four coming to dinner! x

The Nostalgia Fairy said...

Hi Carol,
I haven't visited in a while but have been looking back to past comments on my blog and felt I must get back in touch. Love your creations, very shabby chic and really pretty. Have added you to my links so I can call back again.
Take care,
Sandi x

Country Cottage Chic said...

The lampshade turned out really well in your new fabric & the needle cases would make super stocking fillers too.

Lucy Bloom said...

Your lampshade is just lovely - that rose fabric is gorgeous, I love all of Kate Forman's designs (but find her stuff a bit pricey - sigh...) Have you seen inside her house, it's been featured in a number of books and mags, can't remember which though.
Lucy

Sea Angels said...

Hi, I just adore Kate Formans fabrics, have you been on her web site it's just so chic. I think your lampshades are just wonderful as well they are so soft and unstructured, they add a lovely feminine touch to a room.
Stunning
Lynn xx

Sandi McBride said...

What a simply gorgeous job you've done on this Carol. Shades are so expensive anymore that I've been thinking about making my own. I need you to give me a few more tips! Your home is just so lovely...

Anonymous said...

Hi Carol,
WOW! those shades are gorgeous you have as usual inspired me and i am going to have a go at making my own :)
Your day sounds like it was just perfect! and the needle wallet is so pretty...along with the shades i see a little etsy/ebay store coming along?
I hope all your dreams come true too XxX

Joanna said...

That material is so pretty and you are so clever to make a such a pretty needle case and and lampshade. I'm doing some alterations to a few lampshades at teh moment